Thursday, January 13, 2011

Planes and Pies and Dogs. Oh my.

According to the NY Daily News, we should all be on the lookout for 3 major food trends of 2011. And considering they have won TEN Pulitzer Prizes, I feel that we should pay attention.

Food trend number one: GOURMET AIRPORT FOOD

Well wouldn't that be nice?  As someone who frequents LaGuardia airport, the idea of anything gourmet sounds like a dream.  We all know that airport chinese food can, um,  get a little old. But, according to our Pulitzer folks,  LaGuardia will open more than a dozen restaurants, bars and cafes by next summer -- including a steakhouse by Michael Lomonaco of Porter House New York, a pizza place from Domenico DeMarco of Di Fara Pizza and a burger joint by Pat LaFrieda, the famous meat purveyor.
 
Yes please.

Food trend number two: PIES!!!

 
Now, I don't know about you blog reader folk, but I love me some pie. I mean, I REALLY love me some pie. In fact, when the day comes, I plan to have wedding pie -- an endless assortment of wedding pie. And, despite their delightful messiness,  I still plan to smash said pie into into the face of my unsuspecting mate. Perhaps we will invest in some aprons.
 
In NYC, pie-mania is spreading like crazy.  And not just ordinary pies, mind you. At Hill Country Chicken (1123 Broadway; 212-257-6446; HillCountryChicken.com), you can get yourself your very own...pie shake. Yes. A milk shake with pie. Pie Shake. Brilliant 
 
Food trend number three: GOURMET HOT DOGS
 
Yes, we all love a good hotdog (beef, pork, veggie, whatever). And yes, sometimes a little stadium mustard is all we need. But on those days when we crave the comfort of a good ole dog but can't ignore the excitement of our foodie curiosities, you can now find yourself a gourmet dog.
 
Crif dogs has been ahead of the trend for some time now and still rank as #1 in NYC. But, a few others are nipping (pun intended) at their heels. 

Bark Hot Dogs in Park Slope BarkHotDogs.com 
 
Dogmatic in Union Square http://eatdogmatic.com/
 
And if you'd like to make your away around the world in 80 DOGS, here are some fabulous recipes you can try at home.



 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment